Monday, June 08, 2015

What I See (A Message for Lily on Her 8th Birthday)

Since the moment she burst into the world, Lily has been screaming (sometimes literally) to be seen and heard. The knowledge that she did not have our undivided attention seemed to be wired into her DNA and so she talked louder (and LOUDER) and enhanced her stories with wild hand motions, wiggling, and dancing to hold her place in the spotlight for just a few seconds longer.

It's not always easy to be in the middle...never the first to do anything and never the baby...and yet Lily has born this role in our family with enthusiasm, humor, and grace. So, Lily, on your 8th birthday, here is a list of what I see so that you know that I am watching and listening and loving every moment of life with you.



I see you sneak into our room early in the morning when the sun is barely starting to light the sky for a cuddle before the day begins.



I see you play gently with Eli and Emerson. I see you entertain them without being asked so that I can make dinner. I see your patience with them when they knock over your block tower, demand to have their way, pull your hair, or are just plain fussy. I see how kind you are being even when they are being the most unlovable.






I see you letting Finn choose what movie you will watch even though your really want to watch something else. I see you encourage him whether he's playing soccer or swimming or climbing the basketball goal. I see you including him in the the big kid fun.


I see how much you love Cassidy and how much she loves you. I see that you are best friends. I see how the two of you struggle to get along sometimes, to talk calmly and kindly to each other when discussions over how to play Barbies become heated, but I also see you trying to be patient and kind. I see that part of the reason you both get so upset is because you so desperately want to play with one another and you feel frustrated when you can't agree. I see you try every day to keep your relationship with your sister strong. I hear you say you don't want a broken relationship and that makes my heart happy.



I see how much you love our family and how one of your greatest desires is that we are all happy and together. I see you run to get an extra chair for Daddy at the dinner table and I know that means that mealtime is not complete without all of us! I am thankful that family is so important to you!



I see your heart and passion for God and His Word. I hear you ask thoughtful questions. I hear you teach your brothers and sisters. I hear your long discussions with Daddy, and Gran, and Me. I hear your boldness and believing and I rejoice.

I see that you don't like math (or writing), but I see your determination and diligence to do your best. I hear you repeat information you've been told almost like you're reading it from a script. I see that you are listening even when you may appear distracted.

I see your servant's heart. I see you sneak into the playroom to clean up. I see your desire to wash the dishes, prepare meals, and your willingness to help with other chores. I am thankful for all you do to help our family.

I see your zest for life. I see you excel at whatever you are doing because you never do anything halfway...you always give your whole heart. Whether singing, swimming, basketball, soccer, you always try your best and never quit. I see the joy you get from living life to the fullest and I see the joy you bring others by being a shining light in this world.

I see that you love to laugh and make others laugh, to entertain, to perform, to be wild, and silly, and wonderfully fun. I see all the smiles and giggles you bring into our home with your quick wit and charm.

I see that even though you are getting big, you still yearn to be little sometimes. I see you wait patiently for your turn in my lap and I see you quietly give up your place when a little one demands my attention.

I see you hanging out of your bed at night, kissing my hand, refusing to let me go, saying "good night" and "I love you" a thousand times as I make my way out your door. I know you're just trying to prolong bedtime, but I also know you feel every ounce of the love you profess.



Today, on your 8th birthday, I see the perfect combination of little girl and young lady wrapped up in an energetic, joyful, little body. I see my favorite belated birthday present of all time. I see someone who gives the best, tightest hugs and whose smile lights up her whole face and my heart. I see my sweet Lily Anne, my Lily Bug.



Happy Birthday, Lily! I love you, my sweet girl! You are God's best!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a treasure of love for Lily as she grows and grows. Your words will always be in her heart. And she will know that these are not just words on a page because you put these words in action every single day. Children live what they learn and Lily is so blessed to have such Christ filled parents. Love love ALL of you!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Tie her to the bed and probe her tease her until she turns on then pull down my pants and fuck her in the pussy enjoy her body until she's loaded deep with cum Jesus yes

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...