Wednesday, May 03, 2017

God Cares About the Little Things (The Story of the Pink Guitar)

Now unto Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we could ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,
Ephesians 3:20


About this time last year we found out that our homeschool co-op would be offering a beginner guitar class in the coming school year. Lily was thrilled. She had been asking to learn how to play the guitar for several years, but we hadn't made time in our busy schedule or room in our family budget to allow her to try learning a musical instrument. Now she would finally have the chance.

For me, that meant that I spent the summer in search of an affordable (most likely used) starter guitar. But since it's almost impossible to find a guitar (even a used one) that doesn't sound like a toy when it's played for less than $100, the search went on and on and on. During the hunt, Lily announced that she would really like a pink guitar. I was unaware that non-toy guitars came in colors and since all I really cared about was finding a good deal on a decent instrument, I told her color was not a priority. We were going to get the guitar we could afford. But I also told her a story I had heard many years ago:

Many, many years ago there was a minister that had a weekly radio show. He would talk about God's Word and people would call in with their prayer requests. One evening a woman called and told the minister that she was in need of a new home. She wanted him to add her need to his prayer list and added that she would really like the living room of the new home to have red curtains. The minister thought that was a silly request. After all, a home is a need. It doesn't matter what kind of curtains are in the living room. But, he told the woman he would pray for her new home. Some time went by and during another broadcast, the woman called back to tell the minister that God had blessed her with a home. "And when I walked into the living room, there were red curtains in the windows," she said.

So see, God cares about the little things, I told Lily. The minister thought her request was silly, but God didn't. God loves us. Why shouldn't the woman have red curtains her living room if that's what would bless her? The color of your guitar may only be important to you, but God loves you and wants to bless you. Go to Him in prayer and we'll see what he provides. I know whatever it is, it will be the best guitar for you.

More time passed. The start of the new school year was only days away and I still hadn't found a guitar for Lily. I had decided to settle on one I'd found on Amazon. The reviews weren't great, but it was the right size and in our price range. Right before I ordered it, I felt a tugging in my heart to check craigslist one more time. It was that still, small, quiet voice and I am so glad I was listening that day because when the page opened up I found this:



This $300 guitar was being sold for $50. I had seen it in a previous search and the reviews were great. Right size, right price. But the best part of all? It was PINK. I almost cried when I told Lily about it. "Look what God provided for you!!! It's better than I ever could have imagined!!!"

But the story gets even better. Turns out the little girl it belonged to didn't really use it at all. For all intents and purposes it was brand new. And, though I didn't attempt to haggle over the price, the mom only took $40 for it. That's "exceeding abundantly above." That's God.

I've been thinking about this story a lot the last few days. My heart and mind have been distracted with the many changes coming for our family in the next few months. New babies, new activities, new work endeavors, changes in our finances. There is much about which to rejoice, but there are also many things over which I could sit and worry. How will this work? Can I do it? Will that be enough? And recently on one really rough evening with the kids...oh my gosh, what are we doing???

It would be easy to get consumed with the unknown, but instead I choose to focus on prayer, on being thankful and praising God for all He has done and continues to do for us, on bringing favorite bible verses to my mind. Ones that remind me that God loves me, He will never leave me, He will protect me, He will meet my every need, He will comfort me, and that I never have to be afraid. And I think about that pink guitar. Because if God cares about the color of a 9-year-old's guitar, then he cares about my stuff too...the little stuff and the big stuff. 

When there is so much light, the darkness has to flee. And God loves me - and you - more than anyone else ever could. And he sees that - although we mess up (for me, sometimes it's a lot) - we are trying our best to know Him, love Him, and serve Him and are endeavoring to teach our children to do the same. So we can trust Him to be faithful. And sure, we'll still work as hard as we can at all our different jobs and we'll try to be good stewards of all God has blessed us with (not eating out as much and making the kids hand-me-downs stretch as far as they can), but it's God who will give the increase. And it is He who will receive all the praise and glory every step along the way.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...